[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya Hears but Skimserv doesn't spot

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Wed Jun 12 10:13:37 EDT 2019

OK, here's a mystery - I have a 14-bit Red Pitaya and a QS1R.  I
normally feed them both off a Clifton Labs Norton preamp through a
Mini-Circuits splitter (about 3.5 dB insertion loss).  In tests way back
when, using number of spots as the metric, I had found the Red Pitaya to
be substantially equal to the QS1R in performance.

A month or so ago, I noticed that the RP seemed not to be spotting, but
I was preoccupied with other things. Today I decided to get serious
about diagnosing the problem.  First, I verified all of the
interconnecting cables.  Then I tested the QS1R and the Red Pitaya with
their respective SDR software, SDRMAX V and PowerSDR.  I used an
Elecraft XG-3 to verify the sensitivity of both SDRs, which did not
reveal any obvious problems.

Then I started Skimserv and Aggregator on both PCs.  It's CWT Wednesday,
so I immediately noticed a lot of activity, as measured by the number of
decoders that Skimserv spawned.  I did notice that the number on the Red
Pitaya lagged substantially behind that on the QS1R. The real shocker,
though - in that hour, the QS1R system spotted over 200 stations (many
re-spots, of course) while the Red Pitaya system logged *none.*

I'm baffled - clearly something is wrong with the Red Pitaya system, but
what?  Any suggestions welcome!

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.