[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] Recommendations for a good, small active antenna for the RBN

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Sat Jun 8 16:41:27 EDT 2019

Hello Pete,

your concerns are justified but luckily the designer PA0RDT of the original mini-whip started about end 2017/beginning 2018 (IIRC) to implement a choke (RF isolating transformer) within the unit which resides normally inside the building near your receiver. That means, inside the housing you have a small switch which allows you to either pass the braid of the coaxial cable further to your receiver *OR* to block it by the mentioned RF isolating choke. This cool modification helps a lot but if you pay attention for proper installation of a mini-whip you won't need it. I googled and found a schematic so you will understand, look here:

http://www.472khz.org/media/pa0rdt-Mini-Whip-Manual.pdf

Keep in mind that in both cases -using a conducting mast or a non-conductin fiberglass mast- the braid of your coaxial cable acts as a conductor and thus as a path for the second pole of the antenna until it reaches end/ground. For example: you install a 4m fiberglass mast on the ground in your yard with the mini-whip installed on top. The coaxial cable running down the fiberglass mast is a conductor and the active element "sees" it. The best practice -although on the new PA0RDT miniwhip devices you have the RF isolatin transformer- is --> ground the braid of your coaxial cable as soon as it reaches ground on the shortest possible path. The PDF mentioned above shows a simple schematic in page 3/4. There you will see such a ground rod. Better to place it next to the mast, that's why I said on the shortest possible path.

An active antenna like this mini-whip is not just "plug-and-play" it needs a solid environment and proper setup. In all other cases you certainly will get disappointed and I guess that is the reason why so many hams had bad experience with it.

HTH, wish you good luck and looking forward to your new skimmer.

73
Saki, DD5XX