[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya SDR 122-16 tips

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jun 2 13:50:00 EDT 2019

Received my SDR 122-16.  The microSD card that comes with it seems to
contain an old Ubuntu release that will not work with the hardware.  I
tried using Win32DiskImager to use the published Ubuntu releases, but none
of them would boot at all.

Finally I used Windows Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc) to delete all the
partitions on the microSD card, then reformat as FAT32 (not FAT, the
Windows Default, which does not work).  Then Unzip Pavel's Alpine image
following all the steps here to get it to work:

https://pavel-demin.github.io/stemlab-sdr-notes/alpine/

Tip:  copy the start.sh file for the SDR receiver to the root directory
using Windows.  Copying using Alpine Linux doesn't work (root directory
gets recreated every time you restart).

Note: the SDR_Receiver_HPSDR start.sh script starts *two* (2) independent
8-slice SDRs, and the board will end up with two IP addresses and two MAC
addresses on your LAN.  So you can start two independent versions of
Skimmer Server, each referencing a different MAC address by renaming the
HermesIntf.dll as described.