[Skimmertalk] WSJT-X/FT8 skimming: high PC CPU utilization limiting count of spots

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 28 12:28:49 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 6:42 AM Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> what PC/CPU do you use with RP-16A: 7 "main" Bands:  80, 40, 30, 20, 17,
> 15, Low 10 - CW and RTTY Skimming

Intel  i7-7700 3.6 GHz CPU, CPU Passmark rating of 10,730

I needed to stopp skimming RTTY, actually only skimming 8 bands of CW.

> If I turn on RTTY skimmer, I get CPU overload very often

I get that with 8 bands, which is why I limited RTTY Skimming to 7 bands.
But it produces so few spots these days, that it may not be worth it except
during RTTY contests.

I am using a Dell workstation Core i7 -4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz with 8GB of RAM

One can look up the speed of any CPU using this page:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Your i7-4790 3.6 GHz has Passmark 9,987, so it is only a little slower than
my CPU.  Try 7 bands (skip 160m or 10m).

Notching out the FT8 (and FT4?) frequencies by adjusting RTTYSegments in
RttySkimSrv.ini will reduce RTTY Skimmer CPU use quite a bit.  You can see
these false RTTY signals and the decoders they generate by clicking on the
"Band Scope" button in RTTY Skimmer Server.  Local carriers from Ethernet
cables or similar may also generate false RTTY signals and multiple
decoders.