[Skimmertalk] Flogging the Wi-Fi/RP Dead horse

Ted Gisske gisske at offex.com
Sat Jul 27 16:04:45 EDT 2019

I am aware of the horror stories about trying to get a RP-16 to work over
Wi-Fi, but am curious if anyone has gotten really serious about exploring
doing so.

My skimmer is remotely located and not hardwired for Ethernet. It is about
150' from the shack and it would be ugly (tearing up concrete, etc.) to bury
a cable to it. Overhead is also messy, so some sort of wireless bridge, if
fast enuf, is ideal. It's line-of-sight.

For sure 802.11a/b/g/n is way too slow. My RP-16, when skimming 16 segments,
cranks out a steady 150 Mbits/second. 802.11ac claims 1200Mbps thruput, but
users report more like 200Mbps, once all of the advertising hype has been
stripped from the standard. That would cover, with a bit of headroom, me
putting just the RP in my unheated pole shed, and the computer back in the
shack, a much nicer place. I live on a farm in an area that just recently
got universal inside plumbing, so 5GHz local QRM is very unlikely.

Outdoor rated 802.11ac point-to-point bridges are reasonably priced, these
days, and it seems like they might work. Has anyone explored using 802.11ac
to hook up the RP-16 to their computer?

73,

Ted

K9IMM