[Skimmertalk] Difference of RP10 14 16

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 16 19:06:57 EDT 2019

A good way to check whether your pre-amp was over driving your skimmer during the IARU contest is to do an RBN search on spots for N2TC.  Almost all spots for N2TC shown by the RBN are for N2IC, which gets busted to N2TC by over driven skimmers.

N2TC appears to not have been an active CQer, if he was even on in the contest.  There are no human generated spots for that call.

For any skimmer spotting N2TC, doing a comparison search for N2IC vs N2TC during IARU for that skimmer gives interesting results.  It shows at which level the skimmer is being over driven.  My own skimmer was busting this call when the signal was around 60 dB s/n.

I am sure there are other huge signals that get busted in similar ways.

Another problem caused by over driven skimmers is generation of spots on harmonic freqs, and no spot generated on the fundamental frequency.  My own skimmer reported a weak N6MJ on 10 meters when he was actually on 20.  10 meters was not open at the time.  I believe the KU7T skimmer was also doing this.  My DX Cluster rejects harmonics of good calls, but I do not believe AR Cluster software does this.

DX Clusters will be filtering out these busted N2TC spots, but using a RAW RBN feed will give you bad spots.

It's a trade off for me. Sensitivity on high bands with a 20 dB pre-amp or a few busted calls on lower bands.

Lee VE7CC