[Skimmertalk] The Red Pitaya 122.8-16 -- an important lesson learned.

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Wed Aug 14 21:14:21 EDT 2019

I've been spending an absurd amount of time working with the new Red
Pitaya 16 bit receiver on various projects, but in the process I've
picked up someinfo others may find useful.

The Red Pitaya technical staff has explained to me that this unit has no
filters at all between the antenna terminal and the DDC, not even a
Nyquist anti-alias filter.  They explain that whatever we hams are using
it for, the RP-16 is designed to be a multi-purpose instrumentation
platform, and for that reason no filters are included in the input,
because they might constrain uses other than as an SDR.

When I first got my RP-16, I had serious intermod on 21 and 24-MHz.  I
wasn't sure what the source was, but suspected FM broadcast.
RTL-SDR.com makes a very inexpensive FM band-stop filter that is
available from Amazon, as is a similar filter for AM broadcast.  I
placed the two filters in series between my RP-16 and my preamp, and the
IMD totally disappeared.  It's not as elegant as having the filters
inside the RP-16, but it remedies the one issue I've had with the
receiver so far.

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.