[Skimmertalk] Mobile spotting

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Apr 10 02:00:14 EDT 2019

The skimmer software looks for certain patterns of symbols representing a
callsign.  It also looks for "CQ or TEST" to distinguish "runners" from
"callers".  The callsign patterns it recognizes are documented in this file:

http://cms.reversebeacon.net/sites/cms.reversebeacon.net/files/2018/07/13/Patt3Ch.lst

In your case, N0AC matches one of these patterns, but N0AC/County does not.

+ N0@
+ N0@@
+ N0@@@
  N0@@@@
  N0@@@@@

The "+" presents the "preferred" patterns and the "@" represents a number,
letter or slash.

If you want to get spotted, send CQ or TEST and your callsign *twice*, e.g.

CQ N0AC N0AC County TEST

If you send

CQ N0AC/County N0AC/County TEST

CW Skimmer will probably not recognize any part of the string as a
callsign, and you will rarely get spotted.