[Skimmertalk] Elad S2 vs Duo issue

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Nov 29 14:35:40 EST 2018

Don,

Remember that the "noise" component of the S/N ratio is averaged across the
*entire* monitored segment, so if one receiver is picking up some local
broadband noise (perhaps from a switching power supply) in the upper half
of the band, but the other is not, they could report wildly different S/N
ratios for the same absolute signal strength of a CW station.  As
suggested, try to use a full band scope program like HDSDR to "see" the
noise floor.

As an aside, are your skimmers monitoring the same band segments with two
different SDRs, but reporting all spots to the RBN under the same callsign,
VE6JY?  That practice is strongly discouraged, as it makes using the data
on the RBN website much more difficult for those who are trying to do
signal or data analysis.

For example, just now I see:

VE6JY <http://reversebeacon.net/qrz/VE6JY>  NB6GC
<http://reversebeacon.net/qrz/NB6GC> 14035.0 CW CQ [LoTW] 19 dB 22 wpm 1907z
29 Nov
VE6JY <http://reversebeacon.net/qrz/VE6JY>  NB6GC
<http://reversebeacon.net/qrz/NB6GC> 14035.0 CW CQ [LoTW] 44 dB 22 wpm 1907z
29 Nov

How can a user trying to measure front to back ratios or average signal
strength using your node interpret such dissimilar readings?

As a reminder to everyone using multiple SDR or antennas, if they are
covering the same band segments with two different instances of skimmer
server, *please* use a *different callsign* on each instance, e.g. VE6JY-1
and VE6JY-2, so that the raw data files and web site can make best use the
S/N numbers being reported.

To change the skimmer callsign, edit the .ini files used to start each
skimmer using a text editor such as Notepad, and change the User section,
like this:

*Skimmer 1 ini file*:
[User]
Call=VE6JY-1