[Skimmertalk] Another Skimmer Antenna Idea

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Wed Jan 17 07:54:51 EST 2018

I forgot to sent following message to our reflector, only Dave received it :) As Wes already said, I am also favouring PA0RDT miniWhip.

Thanks for sharing Dave. It's really not the brave art to copy things and re-publish them under own name. You just need to enter the search keywords "mini whip" into eBay and you'll see how many clones there are available. I want to emphasize that the original one is by PA0RDT (Roelof Bakker). Roelof is a really nice guy and very helpful whatever you need related to the miniWhip. You can even tell him to use SO239 or N jacks or whatever you like. He builds you the antenna to suit your needs. Just enter his callsign PA0RDT into eBay and you'll find the original mini-whip antenna.

Additionally I want to add that PA3FWM (=author and owner of www.websdr.org[http://www.websdr.org]) has written a very nice article with explanation about PA0RDT mini Whip antenna. There's also a nice HowTo which explains the necessity of correct grounding for every active antenna receiving the E-field.

http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html[http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html]
http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn09d.html

Related to this topic and the mentioned Ukranian clone, I'd like to add following spech data, so you see the difference:

PA0RDT Mini Whip:
=================
Frequency range: 10 kHz – 30 MHz
Power: 9 – 15 V , 65 mA
Intercept Point 2nd order, IP2: > +75 dBm
Intercept Point 3rd order: IP3: > +40 dBm
Jack: SO-239 or N or BNC or whatever you like
Dimension: 100 mm x Ø 40 mm

The highlight of his latest models built is, that he uses a small ferrit core (HF decouple) which allows to disconnecting DC of the outer shield of theconnected coaxial cable. There is a jumper inside and you can choose if you want a DC connection or not. Your mileage may vary according to your setup. The instructions and illustrations that come with his antenna are self-explained.

For comparison, here's what the technical specs are for the Ukranian clone:

Frequency range: 10 kHz - 30 MHz
Power: 12 - 15 volts at 150 mA
Second order output intercept point: > + 70 dBm
Third order output intercept point: > + 30 dBm
Maximum output power: in excess of - 15 dBm
PCB Size: Length (mm): 155 x 27
Connector: BNC

I want to add that I am nor a relative with PA0RDT neither I get some benefits for pointing this out. I just want to express how satisfied I am with the PA0RDT mini Whip antennas (I own 4 of them) and that it's fair to support the real producer of the real mini Whip.

Just my 2 cents.

73
Saki, DD5XX