[Skimmertalk] Using Skimmer with RTL-Dongle SDR?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Jan 11 08:33:56 EST 2018

There are some nice dongles available now for about $20 that have 1PPM
TCXOs.  I'm using one of them now for an 800 MHz P25 scanner with pretty
tight frequency requirements, and it works fine for that -- it really is
within 1 PPM of nominal, and pretty much stays there.

What we're trying to do is build a reference design for a VHF RBN
station, with the idea of putting several of them around the midwest (to
begin with).  We want to monitor the beacon and CW segments on 50, 144,
222, 432, and 1296 MHz.  If we can make the dongles work for this, it
allows the whole thing to be very low cost.

I'll keep the list posted on progress; we're hoping to have at least a
skeleton station running in a couple of weeks.

73,
John
----