[Skimmertalk] Using Skimmer with RTL-Dongle SDR?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Jan 9 09:05:40 EST 2018

A group of VHF contesters in the Ohio area are looking at the
possibility of using Skimmer and RBN (or something like that) to monitor
the CW and beacon segments of 2M, 222, 432, etc. to generate propagation
information.  We're now looking at the hardware options.

It seems as though the inexpensive RTL-Dongle devices would be good for
this application.  Has anyone looked into interfacing them to Skimmer?

If not, has anyone looked into this issue and come up with a different
solution for VHF monitoring?

One possibility is using a Red Pitaya with VHF converters in front, but
that adds hardware complexity and cost.  We'll take that route if
there's no other reasonable alternative.

Thanks!

73,
John N8UR