[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya board with front-end improvements / transformer update

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jan 5 22:34:20 EST 2018

A German team has described a way to greatly improve the front-end
characteristics of the Red Pitaya board to make it into a much more
effective HF Receiver (improved sensitivity and improved strong signal
handling).  However, I can't find a "how to" document published, though
apparently the data sheet for the A/D converter explains how to match it to
a 50 ohm input.  The modification requires removing a lot of surface mount
parts, so much rework would be involved.

The good news is that the CEO of the Red Pitaya company may be convinced to
start producing a new version of the board that has these modifications.
I'd gladly replace mine, and use the two original boards as scopes or
signal generators.

See below.

In the mean time, he's told me that it will be about another two or three
weeks before I will receive more Red Pitaya 14:1 transformers.  I don't
think they'll be needed with the new board, but I'm trying to find out, and
I'm also trying to find out when the new Red Pitaya board might be
available, and if all the old software will work on it unmodified.