[Skimmertalk] Miniwhip Antenna questions

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Feb 9 16:54:01 EST 2018

The Miniwhip articles that were referenced a couple of messages ago are
worth looking at -- they give a pretty good description of how the thing
works.  The big problem, particularly at lower frequencies, is keeping
out local noise.

K4ZOA's suggestion was to have the antenna in electrical contact with
the mast, and ground the mast at its base.  Then ideally bury the coax
away from the mast, and about 20 feet away put in a mongo ferrite bead
collection (also buried) and continue the buried run into the shack,
where you might add a bunch more ferrites.  It's all about keeping the
coax from picking up crud.

Lacking a metallic mast, you can use the coax as the ground connection,
but you want it to go to earth right below the antenna, rather than
finding ground at the far end.

John
----