[Skimmertalk] Miniwhip Antenna questions

Gerard PA7CW gerard at pa7cw.nl
Fri Feb 9 15:54:59 EST 2018

Hi Mike,

I would recommend to read the notes from Pieter-Tjerk PA3FWM on the MiniWhip.
http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html <http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html>
http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn09d.html <http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn09d.html>

BTW: Pieter-Tjerk also made improvements to the MiniWhip circuit: http://www.pa3fwm.nl/projects/miniwhip <http://www.pa3fwm.nl/projects/miniwhip>. My understanding is that this design has not been productized, yet. Pieter-Tjerk will not productize it. It’s up to the community to do so.
The WebSDR <http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/> at the University of Twente, where Pieter-Tjerk is teaching, uses currently the new circuit with very good results. For this new circuit the same grounding principles as with the PA0RDT MiniWhip apply.

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 16:55, W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu at w0mu.com <mailto:w0mu at w0mu.com>> wrote:
>
> I received my miniwhip yesterday.  I was reading the instructions which seem to be out of date.  My miniwhip is enclosed in a pvp case so I assume that it is intended to be mounted as is.
>
> The instructions also say to mount it as high as possible.  I am curious as to how high others are placing this?  It also talks about keeping it away from metal and grounding it to the mast. What if I just screwed it on to the side of the house or used a pvc mast.  Would I want to run a ground wire up to the bnc connector at the bottom?
>
> W0MU

Cheers / Saludos,

Gerard(o) PA7CW

PA7CW        XE1/PA7CW