[Skimmertalk] Deaf QS1R

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Dec 22 11:49:42 EST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM Andy KU7T <ku7t at ku7t.org> wrote:

> Can only hear my signal very, very low. Tried HDSDR, with same results.

Thanks.  If you hear signals just fine when you connect the same cable to
an "RX ANT" input of your transceiver, then it highly likely that the QS1R
needs to be repaired (GL with that).

Need to study the Red Pitaya, althrough I can only find a product called
> Stem labs. Assuming this is the same?  How good is it and is it widely used?

Yes, many of us have switched to the Red Pitaya STEMlab 125-14 starter kit
for 8-band skimming, as performance is just as good as the QS1R  (when
properly configured with a 14:1 transformer
<https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/XFMR/> on the input), plus you get two antenna
inputs instead of just one.  See:

http://hamsci.org/cw-reverse-beacon-network-how-guide
http://hamsci.org/n6tv-red-pitaya-combine-cw-rtty-skimmer-hdsdr
  (some links out-of-date, I will update eventually)
https://github.com/HrochL/CWSL/tree/master/bin

A new model is coming that will be even better, but it may be months away
from availability (I will try to find out).

https://www.redpitaya.com/n86/new-stemlab-sdr