[Skimmertalk] wlan0 interface loosing connection on RedPitaya as soon CW Skimmer Server starts

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Thu Apr 12 04:48:48 EDT 2018

Hi Bob,

> Try experimenting with 2 bands x 96
> kHz and work your way up. This is all set in CwSkimmer Server; nothing
> needs to change on the Red Pitaya, though you may have to keep restarting
> it CwSkimmer Server after clicking "Apply".

I forgot to mention that I already tried that without success.

> Do things work any better if you unplug the Ethernet cable and bring eth0
> down and tell the Red Pitaya to use wlan0 only? Perhaps the SDR receiver
> gets confused when it sees two network connections, though that seems less
> likely than a pure speed issue.

No, this isn't the case because I started with only wlan0 up. I re-used
eth0 in parallel only for troubleshooting to see what's going on during the
drop.

> Instead of using an SSH connection, which forces network traffic onto both
> paths, try connecting a USB cable from your PC to the second USB
> connector. Windows will recognize this as an FTDI serial port (even when
> no power is connected to the Red Pitaya). You can configure PuTTY for a
> SERIAL connection to the new virtual COM port at *115200 baud,N,8,1* .
> Using a direct serial port console connection you can monitor network
> traffic and issue commands directly without network conflicts or SSH
> connections.

see above. There is only one network connection 'wlan0' enabled and up.

> I'm not aware of anyone who has been able to make reliable WiFi connections
> between the Red Pitaya and a Router while running CwSkimmer server at 8
> bands x 192 kHz; it's just too much data for most WiFi dongles to handle.
> Perhaps the Red Pitaya CPU gets overloaded with interrupts?

I don't think it's the available bandwidth but how the data is handled between
the OS and the FPGA processes or application. I can use a 100 MBit/s ethernet
connection and it works fine, too. Even when I run it at half duplex 10 MBit/s.

> If you're not satisfied with that answer, and you MUST use WiFi, I'm afraid
> that even Pavel Demin may be unable to help you, as it's probably an OS
> networking limitation, or a limitation of your WiFi router or the dongles.

Guess so, will do some more tests and if I cannot get a satisfying solution I
will ask him for assistance and hints.

Thank you Bob, have a nice day.
73
Saki, DD5XX