[Skimmertalk] RBN - Reminders for Eclipse Monday!

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 10:10:42 EDT 2017

RBN Ops, in particular, please take note:

1.  If you haven't already, write to me for the ini file changes that
you will need to make your Skimmer or Skimserv re-spot stations without
waiting 10 minutes as the current version does.

2.  Be sure that your Skimmer or Skimserv is set up to spot everything,
not just CQs.  This is a new point of emphasis, intended to make sure
that we get as much data in the spots.txt file as possible.  In CW
Skimmer and Skimserv, there is an option checkbox on the Telnet tab that
will enable you to spot everything, simply by unchecking it.  In RTTY
Skimserv you will need to change the relevant .ini file line.  CQOnly=1
needs to be changed to CQOnly=0.

3.  We suggest that if you are making the two changes above, that you
*not* connect to the RBN during the Eclipse period, 1400-2200Z.
Otherwise, the volume of traffic could overload our servers; we hope
there will be that level of activity, both on the part of the RBN and
also operators in the SE QSO Party.

4.  Be sure that you give emphasis to the low bands in setting up your
RBN node's band coverage.  During the eclipse proper, we've been told to
expect paths that run through the eclipse zone (or rather are reflected
from the ionosphere in that zone) to open as if night had suddenly
fallen.  For those who switch ini files for daytime, remember to enable
your nighttime ini files.  And for operators in the QSO Party, be aware
as the period of maximum for your locality approaches, and check bands
that are lower than those you would normally operate on.

5. Please try to record the raw digitized RF data from your RBN node if
you are able, as this will allow HamSCI to analyze signal phenomena not
seen in the RBN spots following the contest. Guides to do this are
posted at
<http://hamsci.org/article/reverse-beacon-network-and-iq-recording-guides-updated>
for common receivers. In addition, just about any receiver which uses CW
Skimmer (not Server) can record using the I/Q Recorder function built in
to CW Skimmer.

Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at