[Skimmertalk] red pitaya, for real?

Jeff AC0C keepwalking188 at ac0c.com
Thu Sep 1 14:18:20 EDT 2016

Let me help make it clear on the CPU scale.  You are over estimating the CW
and under estimating the RTTY demand.

There is at least a 4x demand on RTTY skimmer compared to CW skimmer (server
products) even on "normal days."  If there is a RTTY contest on, the demand
jumps to 10x to skim one band (200+ decoders).  If you try to do multiple
bands, then it's closer to 20-30x depending on frequency range and how much
throttling you are willing to live with.  The previous gen i7-49xx (forget
the model number) cannot skim 3 bands at 96 Khz without throttling in a
contest.

Watching RTTY skimmer crush an otherwise speedy computer is something you
really have to see to appreciate.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie