[Skimmertalk] red pitaya, for real?

Jeff AC0C keepwalking188 at ac0c.com
Thu Sep 1 10:54:41 EDT 2016

Do NOT use an AMD uP if RTTY skimmer duty is what you want.  This program is
a monster consumer of FPU calculation capability and while the AMD parts are
very fast, they suffer from a shared FPU core.  Meaning your zippy new AMD
8-core speed deamon actually has only 4 FPU cores, and they are shared one
FPU to two CPU.  My rather ancient and slow (by modern standards) 945 runs
around 300 decoders under RTTY skimmer despite being "only" a 4-core part.
That's about the same speed as you get out of the later AMD parts.  Why?
Because the 945 has a single FPU for each CPU.

The Intel parts by comparison are faster because there is a 1:1
correspondence between physical CPU and physical FPU cores.  If you really
want to rock RTTY skimmer in a contest, across 3 active contest bands
simultaneously and run 96K decodes without throttling, your best bet is
probably the 6-core Intel i7-5820K.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie