[Skimmertalk] red pitaya, for real?

Nathaniel A. Frissell nathaniel.a.frissell at njit.edu
Wed Aug 31 09:45:01 EDT 2016

Hi, W4KAZ.

As Pete says, I am also experimenting with the Red Pitaya as a skimmer.
It works extremely well in software and is quite reliable. I've been
running one at my house for a couple of months now, plugged directly
into a shortened G5RV. It seems most sensitive to 20 and 40 m. I've
recently moved back home, and I am in the process of redoing-my
antennas, which are poor at best right now.

The pre-amp is probably a good choice. I am working with some students
at NJIT, we are working on getting a better handle on characterizing
receiver quality and identifying an effective (and cost-effective)
antenna situation. This is likely going to be part of a senior capstone
project for them, so I have good hopes we will be able to come up with a
good result.

If you are able to purchase a Red Pitaya and have some interest in
playing with the antennas and matching, I would encourage it! Please
share what you find here.

73,

Nathaniel, W2NAF