[Skimmertalk] IF Offset Explained?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Sep 21 12:03:13 EDT 2015

I have been doing some experimentation, using the wideband IF output of
my K3 and various programs for displaying I./Q data from an LP-Pan 2.  .

Is there a good clear explanation somewhere of the meaning of the setup
value described variously as Audio IF (CW Skimmer), IF Offset (SO2SDR by
N4OGW), and Global Offset (NaP3)?  There is an explanation in the CW
Skimmer help file, but it is not very helpful, because it seems to be
based on the old transceiver design with roofing filters placed before
the downconversion.  Alexlimits his Softrock-IF mode to 24 Hz for this
reason, but that restriction is no longer relevant to radios like mine

In particular, I am trying to understand why, using the same sound card
and the same bandwidth, these programs come up with different value
needed to placeCW traces at the correct frequency, so that you can click
on them and move the transceiver correctly.  They range from -6144 Hz
(CWSkimmer and NaP3)to -1290 Hz (SO2SDR).  I would have thought
thevalues would be established by the transceiver's IF setup, but I
guess not.

Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at