[Skimmertalk] Current SDR choices for CW skimmer?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 15 20:20:35 EDT 2015

It's really up to VE3NEA which SDRs he decides to support.  At present, the
QS1R is the only one with the hardware necessary to scan up to seven bands
at once.  There are no signs or credible rumors indicating that N8VB is
planning release a "QS2R" or any successor product.

Other SDR manufacturers don't really seem interested in adding the hardware
required to support skimming more than a few bands at a time.  So indeed,
if no mfr. steps up to the task, and the QS1Rs slowly deteriorate and
become impossible to repair, we're only going to be left with expensive or
inferior options involving multiple single-band or duo-band skimmers.

What we can we do?  We can contact SDR vendors, preferably in person at
conventions, hamfests etc., and explain our needs, and the limitations of
their hardware.

Unfortunately, Skimmer Server users don't really add up to a big market,
maybe they could sell three hundred multi-band SDRs, world-wide from people
like us who want to run Skimmer Server?