[Skimmertalk] Newbie questions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jul 17 16:29:56 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 7:01 AM, William Hein <bill.aa7xt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Second newbie question. I have pretty good separation between my Pixel Loop
> (connected to QS1R) and my TX antennas so I don't bother muting QS1R during
> TX periods. The CLP light on my QS1R is not lighting so I think I'm OK
> there. Likewise, I don't seem to have blown up the Pixel preamp.

My Pixel Loop is directly underneath my tower, so I feel I must use the
mute feature.  However, instead of using the power coupler that comes with
the antenna, I use a Clifton Labs Z1203B
<http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/z1203b_coupler.htm>, which is 100%
compatible with the Pixel loop.  The biggest advantage of this unit is that
it uses a transistor, rather than a relay, to turn the power off and on.
This allows me to use QSK while contesting.

The Z1230B instantly switches off the power to the Pixel's preamp,
effectively muting everything downstream whenever I transmit.  Wiring is
simple.  I connect the unused "KEY OUT" lines of two Alpha 87As to a
Y-adapter connected to the CTRL input on the back of the Z1203B.  If either
radio transmits (even when amps are off), the Z1203B LED blinks yellow and
removes power from the Pixel.

The Clifton Labs Z10046A
<http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/z10046a_high_gain_amplifier.htm> 23.5
dB preamp may be needed on 6m, though it may have too much gain for other
bands.  Maybe an Elecraft PR-6 <http://www.elecraft.com/PR6/pr6.htm> 18 dB
preamp would be a better choice for a dedicated 6m skimmer.

Many people use the Clifrton Labs Z10042A
<http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/z10042a_norton_amplifier.htm> 11 dB
preamp with the QS1R for 160-10m.

However, I see phantom decodes of my own callsign on, for example, on 17m
> and 10m when I am txing on 20m. I have "AA7XT" in the Bad Calls file

Be sure to add all the variants you will also see, such as TA7XT EA7XT
AA7XTA, AA7X, etc.

But it's hard to come up with them all. To prevent self spotting, I usually
end up logging off the RBN whenever I'm in a contest.