[Skimmertalk] Newbie questions

Dave Pascoe davekm3t at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:08:14 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM, William Hein <bill.aa7xt at gmail.com> wrote:

> First newbie question, I have Skimmer Server running on 6 bands under
> W0LFA-# since yesterday afternoon.
>
> 40m
> 30m
> 20m
> 17m
> 15m
> 10m
>
> Skimmers Online just shows 3 bands for W0LFA. Is this because MUF hasn't
> popped above 20m here in DM59pa yet this morning thus no recent higher band
> decodes?

Yes.

> ------
>
> Second newbie question. I have pretty good separation between my Pixel Loop
> (connected to QS1R) and my TX antennas so I don't bother muting QS1R during
> TX periods. The CLP light on my QS1R is not lighting so I think I'm OK
> there. Likewise, I don't seem to have blown up the Pixel preamp.
>
> However, I see phantom decodes of my own callsign on, for example, on 17m
> and 10m when I am txing on 20m. I have "AA7XT" in the Bad Calls file in
> Aggregator 4.1 yet I still see my call show up on Aggregator Spot Display
> on the correct and phantom frequencies. How do I get Skimmer Server and/or
> Aggregator to ignore "AA7XT"?

I have grappled with this here.  No matter how much separation you have
it's difficult to prevent this on the same property.  Despite not lighting
the CLIP LED there is something going non-linear.  Skimmer Server is pretty
sensitive.  I have even had issues when opening or grounding the QS1R input
while on transmit.  Since you probably have better separation than I do, I
would try wiring in a relay to open the input to the QS1R and see how that
does.

> _____
>
> What analysis tools are available to review the spots one's own Skimmer
> Server detects? Would like to organize and analyze this from time to time.

Probably the most flexible way right now is to download and look at the raw
data:
http://reversebeacon.net/raw_data/

73,
Dave