[Skimmertalk] CW skimmer audio output stutters under load

bubnikv . bubnikv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 18:07:37 EDT 2015

> It seems to me though that the CW skimmer audio filter is sharper and rings
> significantly more than the filter of the Rocky SW.
>

> What CW filter width are you using?

Bob, the ringing is very subjective and maybe I was wrong. You are right,
when I set the bandwidths at both the CW skimmer and the Rocky the same,
they seem to sound similarly.

> Thanks for the tip to manually limit the number of decoders.  That does
indeed make the audio much less glitchy (but sill not perfect).

Try to elevate the CW skimmer process priority. Open Windows Task Manager,
go to the Tasks tab, select the CW skimmer, then open the context menu by
the right mouse button, then select Set Priority -> High. CW skimmer spawns
a decoder subprocess, so you will need to elevate the priority on both CW
skimmer processes you find in the list of the Task Manager. I believe
(again, this is subjective, I have no way to measure it), that it decreases
the clicks a bit.

I am a software engineer and this issue is of a professional interest to
me. I went through BIOS settings (those are very limited on my laptop), I
went through various diagnostics tools. I found out, that just pushing the
sound data through the USB cable costs around 9% of the CPU time (of a
single core) on this old laptop, which is quite high. But the reported
latencies of the USB driver were reasonable, around 1ms per deferred
interrupt service routine. I am afraid that's all I can do without having
access to the CW Skimmer source code, which I obviously do not have and I
would very much love to have :-)

73, Vojtech OK1IAK