[Skimmertalk] Special RBN Configuration for CQWPX CW Contest

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu May 22 07:08:44 EDT 2014

We've been working hard to improve the reliability and throughput of the
RBN, because the trend in traffic points nowhere but up.  Traditional
cluster node software, particularly when required to do extensive
user-defined filtering or database queries, tends to buckle under the load

This weekend, for the WPX CW contest, we will be running a special
configuration of  3 RBN servers, to test some new hardware and software
under heavy volume. We're hopeful the result will be 100% reliability
and data integrity, and we'll be carefully monitoring performance all
weekend.

Individual RBN contributors will notice no difference, and will not need
to change a thing.  However, we are encouraging all RBN contributors to
upgrade to Aggregator 3.0 when they have a few minutes, because it is
significantly faster than 2.4 or 2.61.

So here's how things will look:

telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 will continue to run AR Cluster
Version 6 software.

arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 will run a Windows relay server
written by Lee, VE7CC. After the contest we will probably be renaming
this server to Relay1, but for now we didn't want to upset people's
configurations.

Relay2.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 will run a Linux relay server
written by Felipe PY1NB and Dave, KM3T.

PLEASE NOTE: Both relay nodes are lean servers with *no* user filtering,
databases or other things that contribute to CPU or communications
ignore you!

We're trying hard to move to a wholesale/retail model, encouraging
end-users of RBN data to connect to one or more of the many cluster
nodes thatare set up to serve you, with filtering and other
capabilities.  Extensive Telnet listings are available at
http://www.dxcluster.info - look for entries that have "(+CW Skimmer)"
in the first column.

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,