[Skimmertalk] My QS1R died during CQ WW CW

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Dec 7 22:19:16 EST 2014

Update:  local SDR expert WA6KBL determined that the 1.2V voltage regulator
chip on my QS1R board, which feeds the FPGA hardware, seems to have failed.
  The measured output voltage was only about 0.8V.

Apparently this is not the first time this chip failed when someone was
running Skimmer Server, which really taxes the hardware.  This chip gets
really hot.

WA6KBL is going to experiment by replacing it with a different voltage
regulator, perhaps one with a heatsink bolted to the side of the case.  If
anyone has already gone through this exercise, or added a cooling system to
the QS1R, please share.

I'm encouraging WA6KBL to write up the modifications once testing is
complete.