[Skimmertalk] My QS1R died during CQ WW CW

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 2 11:21:53 EST 2014

It appears that my QS1R had a hardware failure just after 0947z November
30th (during CQ WW CW), after it ran Skimmer Server continuously for a
couple of days.

Rebooting Windows and power cycling the SDR makes no difference.

Skimmer Server reports an error and repeats "Reloading FPGA."   CW Skimmer
reports "FpgaCommand/usb_control_msg failed."  HDSDR reports "Cannot read
from SDR".

The red PWR LED on the QS1R is lit, and the USB device is detected OK by
the Windows device manager (under "libusb-win32 devices/QS1R Direct
Sampling Receiver", so I suppose the power supply is OK (it's the 2A
supply).

Maybe it overheated?  Time for a new QS1R board?  It's an older one, not of
recent generation.  Has anyone else on this list experienced a similar
failure?