[Skimmertalk] RBN - New Servers - Betas test

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Apr 28 08:03:47 EDT 2014

The RBN team, with important outside help (see below), has been working
hard to improve our Telnet feed.  Standard Telnet cluster servers have a
lot of overhead, which can limit throughput or cause hard-to-diagnose
bugs, so we are looking for a better solution.

Beginning immediately, there will be two additional servers available on
beta test.  They are relay1.reversebeacon.net and
relay2.reversebeacon,net, both reachable on port 7000.  These servers
are pure relays, and are not intended for end-users, but rather for
connection by "retail" clusters, to which users will connect.  As such,
they do not support any filtering or other end-user commands, nor do
they maintain any databases or other references.  They do not determine
country, state,zone or anything else from the callsign, and will simply
ignore user commands. We believe that this approach will mean more
stable and reliable service under future anticipated loads of many times
the peak spot flow experienced so far..

Relay 1 is a Windows-based server written by Lee Sawkins, VE7CC.  Our
thanks to him.  Relay 2 is Linux-based, developed by Felipe Ceglia,
PY1NB and Dave Pascoe, KM3Tof the RBN team.

We would appreciate any feedbackfrom cluster operators about the service
provided by these servers.

for the RBN team