[Skimmertalk] skimmer / ham station coexistence

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Feb 25 19:39:47 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Andreas Hofmann <
Andreas.Hofmann at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I keep switching my antennas between my SDR and my main station. Whenever,
> I want to transmit, I also turn off CW Skimmer.

That sure doesn't sound very convenenient.

I wonder what it would take to allow skimmer to run as I am transmitting.

Feed your SDR with your transceivers's RX ANT OUT line through a splitter
(if you have RX OUT; it depends on the transceiver).  Or if using an Rx
Antenna with a remote amplifier, such as the Pixel Loop, remove power to
the amplifier by grounding the supplied "Key" line when you transmit.  The
line is connected to the amp relay output of your transceiver.

See my paper:  Adding a Software Defined Radio (SDR) to an SO2R
station<http://tinyurl.com/4zama4> for
some wiring diagrams and details.

Separate antenna, for sure. What about relocating the SDR, maybe just to
> the other end of the house away from the shack?

Location of antenna far more important than location of SDR.

> What have other skimmer station done in order to allow ham transmissions
> still occur in the very close proximity?

See above.