[Skimmertalk] Skimmer problem - 3 khz mode

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Fri Dec 27 19:09:16 EST 2013

Hi Gents,

This from a first-timer...having a problem with
getting skimmer to work.

I read N4ZR's good tutorial about the setup.  I
DO get the freq readout from the radio.  I'm
using a Pentium 4, 2.8gHz machine and a
new SoundBlaster PCI card.

At this time, I'm only interested in the 3khz mode.

Zeroing in on the problem:
When I activate the "speaker" symbol on skimmer's
radio/settings window, I don't hear the receiver's
audio from the soundcard.  What I DO hear is a rythmic "aircraft"
sound when the waterfall is activated....turn the waterfall
off and the sound stops.

Receiver audio IS getting to the soundcard's "line in"
jack.  The soundcard is selected for both "Signal" and
"Audio" I/O.

The RX freq is being displayed on skimmer's window.

It makes little difference whether I select the MME or WDM
soundcard driver, except that the WDM driver is noiser..."static"
being heard.

I did try a different soundcard....no improvement.
I reloaded skimmer...no change.

So, any ideas on what the problem is?

73,
Charlie, N0TT