[Skimmertalk] ground loop reduction?

Mark n2qt n2qt at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 09:15:34 EST 2012

well one nice thing about having a battery powered rig is you can just keep
disconnecting things and see what happens.   So, I pulled the external
power, the rs 232 cable, and the antenna cable, leaving only the I/Q to
the sound card (which was still isolated with transformers).

The only thing noted is that with the band noise removed, the noise at
0 was more noticeable but not by much.

I did add a bonding cable with no affect.

If I pull the audio to the sound card it also stays pretty much the same.

I think that the problem is related to the sound card in the pc chassis so
I may open it up and see if there is any sensitivity to grounds or perhaps
another card next to the sound card.

It also may be that it may just be the near DC response of the sound card
and that the skimmer will display down to the noise floor.

Mark n2qt