[Skimmertalk] Skimer ANT Improvements

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 1 10:06:33 PST 2012

Skimmer working better on the PA0RDT active ANT because:

1. I spent a couple of hours on the roof cleaning, then replacing  and
waterproofing the barrel connectors for its coax, which had gotten  salt and
condensation in them and were losing contact, even though they  were taped up.
One Amphenol barrel connector joining coaxes was totally  deteriorated inside--
the center conductor parts were totally dissolved  into salt residue and even
part of the plastic insulation was gone  (probably from heating from strong RF
voltages on the roof in addition  to the corrosion); and

2. We raised the active ANT from 5 ft to about 15 ft above the flat roof which
is already 35 ft AGL.

LOTS more spots now. Try it. [n6ncskimmer.ath.cx 7300]

We should have the 2-el A3  sometime in JAN which will make the EU/NA spots even
better.  Thank you all for you help and ideas.

73, Larry N6NC

PS Happy New Year!