[Skimmertalk] CPU for Skimmerserver

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 4 22:00:16 EST 2012

>From http://www.dxatlas.com/SkimServer:
System Requirements

   - *CPU*
     Minimum: Pentium 4, 3 GHz, SSE3 instruction set
     Recommended: Intel Core i7 2600
   - *RAM:* 1 Gb
   - *OS:* Win95/Win98/WinNT4/WinME/Win2000/WinXP, or Windows 7 (32-bit or
   64-bit).
   - *Receiver:* QS1R <http://www.philcovington.com/QuickSilver/> (7 bands)
   or USRP <http://www.ettus.com/> (4 bands)
   - *Disk space:* 10 Mb

I'm using an older 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and have not seen CPU
utilization go above 42%.

According to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php:

CPU Name                   Passmark CPU Mark       Rank
                          (higher is better)   (lower is better)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz          370               1425   Minimum
Intel Core2 Duo 3.0 GHz         1694                696   N6TV
Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8 GHz     2178                566   NewEgg Computer
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz      8417                 62   Recommended

Which means the i3 you're planning to buy is much faster than the minimum,
much faster that what I am using, but slower than the "recommended" one.

If the computer is dedicated to Skimmer Only (+Aggregator), I suggest
setting 'Number of Threads' to 2 if you have a dual core machine like the
i3.  If you have a quad core, set it to 4.  8-core, use 8 threads, etc.