[Skimmertalk] Urgent Change to Skimmer Configuration

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Nov 24 03:54:19 PST 2011

In a recent blog post explaining the features of the new Aggregator I
asked that operators of RBN Skimmers set their Skimmer or Skimmer Server
options (on the Telnet tab) so that Skimmer would pass all spots (not
just CQ spots) to the Aggregator.  The intention of this was to enable
spotting of beacons.  I also recently sent an e-mail to all Skimmer ops
running less than current versions of the Aggregator, asking them to update.

<<<Please *ignore* both of these requests, at least until after the high
tide of contests this winter.>>>  I had not considered how many people
have lots of direct connections to their Skimmers' output, and if they
disable the "Post Only CW Spots" option, those people will be getting
all spots, not just CQs.  Moreover, just before a flock of major
contests is a dumb time to try to update software.  Please leave
well-enough alone!

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 AND now
at arcluster.reversebeacon.net port 7000