[Skimmertalk] Bad Skimmer Spots

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 4 09:55:55 PST 2011

Yes, CC Cluster does a local lookup using the latest FCC data.  Nothing to
do with QRZ.

Although it is a good idea to drop non issued USA calls, the point I was
trying to make is that there are many broken calls that look exactly like
good ones.  These ones are only detectable as they are not currently valid
FCC ones.  You cannot simply look at the output of a skimmer for obvious
broken calls and use that as a measure of how accurate its spotting is.
Something to remember when running "normal" validation.

As skimmer operators can and do change validation levels it would be nice to
see what level they are currently using displayed in their spots.  If using
"aggressive" perhaps you could accept their spots without further
processing.  If "normal" then maybe you need several "normals" that agree on
the calls.

Lee