[Skimmertalk] Reducing the number of "false positive" spots - stations that aren't really CQing

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 04:00:43 PST 2011

Have you seen multiple stations spotted on the same frequency by the
RBN, gone there, and discovered that only one of them is really there?
If so, you've encountered what may be the last major problem with CW
Skimmer, the tendency to spot calling stations as if they were the one
CQing.

There was a bug in versions of Skimmer prior to 1.71, and in Skimmer
Server prior to version 1.30, which caused stations that had been
calling CQ to continue to be spotted as such even if they had left their
run frequency and begun to search and pounce. This was fixed in the
current versions of the programs, and I think I have written to everyone
still using an earlier version to request that they get current.

So, what else can you do to reduce your individual contribution to this
problem?  The biggest thing is never to use "minimal" validation (set on
the Telnet tab of either program).  Instead, use at least "normal" or,
even better, "aggressive".  Each of these levels requires progressively
more iterations of a callsign before it "believes" it, so if we use the
higher levels the number of "false positive" CQ spots should be much
reduced.

How about giving it a try this weekend?

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com