[Skimmertalk] Skimmers and no-ip.com

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 14 16:25:53 PST 2010

I am currently using my own CC Cluster VE7CC-1 to telnet out to various skimmers.  These skimmer spots as well as the regular cluster spots are available to users who telnet to ve7cc.net.  Users need to specifically enable skimmer spots by entering the command set/skimmer.  I am currently connecting to about a dozen skimmers.  Full filtering by country, state etc is offered for both the dx and spotter calls.  Different bands can have different filter set-ups.

The problem I have with connecting out to skimmers is that almost all of them have dynamic IP addresses.  I am continually changing addresses to keep the connections.  It would be great if those who are running skimmers would use a free dynamic dns service like no-ip.com etc.  This would allow me to use a static name for those who have dynamic addresses.

I am one of the members of VE7SV's multi op during most major contests.  If a skimmer's dynamic IP address changes during the contest, I am not able to update my list.  By the time the contest ends, a few of the skimmers are no longer connected.

I expect that the CQ WW CW will see a record number of skimmer spots.  My system offers another alternative to the RBN, in case it crashes again.

Lee VE7CC