[Skimmertalk] 2-way communication between logging programs and Skimmer waterfall

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Wed Dec 22 17:07:42 PST 2010

>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: skimmertalk-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:skimmertalk-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of Barry N1EU
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:28 AM
To: skimmertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Skimmertalk] 2-way communication between logging programs
and Skimmer waterfall

IMHO, this is a very nice Writelog feature but only a small piece of what I
was pointing to and essentially a limited implementation, because here
everything flows down from locally Skimmer-decoded callsigns.  It is a much
more powerful and universally useful implementation if it all flowed from
the logging program bandmap - it would then include stations spotted or
skimmed by others as well as stations I spot (ID) locally.  Thus I'm hoping
for the logging program bandmap to overlay the spectral display.  Also, I'm
just guessing, but I think N1MM Logger's market share is probably MUCH
greater than Writelog.

I'm not a programmer, but perhaps a simplistic way of doing this is
providing the same granularity level options (Khz per pixel) and both
horizontal/vertical options in the bandmaps of logging programs and spectral
display programs and then the user could position/size abutting windows.

>>>DXLab is focused on DXing rather than contesting, but has the ability to
simultaneously collect spots from a Skimmer, the reverse beacon network, DX
Summit, a VHF or UHF Packet Cluster, and two DX Cluster nodes.. These spots
are placed in a Spot Database containing one entry for each active DX
station, eliminating the visual clutter created by duplicates. The Spot
Database is color-coded for need and LotW/eQSL participation, and can be
filtered (by band, by mode, by need, by location, by origin, etc). Spot
Database entries can be continuously displayed on a world map(DX station
only, or as QSOs showing both DX and spotter to better reveal propagation),
and can continuously displayed on a bandmap.

>>>See, for example,

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/RBN/>

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ