[Skimmertalk] [N1MM] Re: Frequency (volume) of Spots (OT)

Luc PY8AZT py8azt at dxbrasil.net
Fri Dec 3 03:17:40 PST 2010

2010/12/3 Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com>
> Hi Joe - the process for identification of who is CQing is a little more
> sophisticated than that. First, Skimmer identifies what it considers
> signals on a given band and assigns a decoder to each one. Then the
> decoder starts reading the text being sent, looking for such key words
> as TEST, CQ, QRZ, QRZ?, and SS. If it finds a key word, it looks for a
> callsign within 256 characters after the keyword. If it finds one, then
> it looks for that call to be repeated a number of times set by the level
> of callsign validation that the owner has specified. It also compares
> the callsign with a table of callsign formats derived from 11 years of
> cluster spots, again with varying stringency depending on the level of
> validation. If it passes all of these tests, then the callsign is spotted.
>
> Result is that it is pretty clever at finding people calling CQ. The
> only case that causes it real problems is when the contest station
> simply signs his call, without ever using a keyword. That could be one
> reason why some CQers escape the Skimmer net, and we recommend that to
> avoid this, stations should add the word TEST every 10 minutes or so.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

Pete,

I got your email on N1MMLogger, so I moved the topic to Skimmer maillist.

At PW7T we've been spoted many times as GW7T. So, in consequence we've
got 290 dupes in the log.

Reading your message, I didn't get how we were so badly spoted so many times.
It's suppose to be:
1) Our TX had some problem in CW - so human brain fix it and called us
correctly - I don't think so... but... It can happens
2) The GW7T exist in this spot database (even as wrong spot)
3) Skimmer had some problem to listen to the very first dot, we were
calling "PW7T PW7T Test"

--
73, Luc
__