[Skimmertalk] Fw: Re: Antennas for multi-band Skimmer installations

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 23 23:03:44 PDT 2009

>(Does it make any sense to have 4 times as much money
>in the protection hardware as the SoftRock receiver???)... sigh...

Yes! I just had a T/R box with hang timer built to protect my SDR-IQ sdr which feeds the CW Skimmer. My ANTs are close together on the big flat roof here, I usually run 550W. I already fried the front end of my RA6790 milspec rcvr when I used it for the Skimmer because its T/R relay could not keep up with contest fast QSK keying.

I also put in line between the ANT and the SDR-IQ two pairs of cross-polarized 1N914 diodes from the center conductor to the shield, and a #49 panel lamp bulb in a socket in series with the ANT coax center conductor. Much easier to replace the #49 bulb than an RF amp front end.

The hang-timer keeps the ANT disconnected from the Skimmer sdr from the first key-down dit for an adjustable period of hang time suitable for your keying speed.

Pete says he cannot send the schematic on Skimmertalk for some reason, so if anyone is interested, send me an email and I will forward it you directly.

73, Larry N6NC