[Skimmertalk] Antennas for multi-band Skimmer installations

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jul 2 13:56:29 PDT 2009

Not naive at all, Wes - we're all in the same boat at this stage.

I have done a few really rough-and-ready experiments comparing the
active antenna to my transmit antennas, but I'm really not ready to
make any strong statements.  This much I can say - with an 8-foot
whip, the Clifton Labs active antenna gets plenty of stations during
a contest weekend.  My intuitive sense is that it is pretty good on
40-10 meters, and starts to lose ground on 80 and 160 - of course, it
*is* an omnidirectional vertical.

73, Pete N4ZR