[Skimmertalk] K4TD ARRL DX CW - Skimmer experiences

Rick Walker rnwalker at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 24 21:27:36 EST 2009

***** EXTRACTED FROM MY 3830 POST *****

I had my skimmers fully operational this weekend using version 1.4 of the
software.  Given that we operated M/S, the skimmer data was not hugely
helpful
in allowing us to pick up new individual multiplier opportunities due to
that
pesky 10 minute band change rule.  However, there was one particular
incident
where the 160M skimmer played an important role in allowing us to quickly
work
D4C.  I happened to already be on 160 at the time, and a 160M skimmer spot
popped in the window for D4C.  So, I clicked over and put D4C in the log
with
about a grand total of 20 seconds of time invested in the entire
transaction.
As our plan was to switch back to another band, I had been CQing on 160
simply
waiting for the 10 minute timer to elapse.  As luck would have it, I was
near
the end of my 10 minute time anyway, so after transitioning over to another
band (with KY4F at the control), I returned to the D4C 160M frequency to see
if
anyone else had found him.  From the time I worked him till the next caller
arrived was just under a minute.  And about 30 seconds after that, the
packet
pile-up materialized...  I was delighted to have that much of a jump on the
packet callers for all the obvious reasons...  Had I been a single-op
without
band change limitations, this sort of capability would have been priceless.

>From an equipment/software perspective, the skimmer system seemed to perform
great deal better especially in reporting the proper call sign of a "CQing"
station.  In the past, I had experienced tremendous A/D clipping problems
when
I transmitted with high power.  Based on a recommendation I received from
N4ZR,
I backed the RF gain controls down just a touch, and the A/D clipping
problem
went down tremendously.  I had also made sure that the audio device drivers
on
my skimmer server were absolutely up-to-date, and that eliminated a
recording
instability problem I had previously experienced.  I use SDR-IQ receivers so
the instability problem wasn't really related to skimmer spot processing,
but
rather, it manifested itself on the recording side, especially when I tried
manage the skimmer server using Remote Desktop.  All six receivers were set
record, and they stayed up for the entire contest without any incidents.  I
recorded about 650 GB of skimmer data this weekend (on 160-10 meters).  I am
rather looking forward to reviewing this data, which will be probably later
this week.  Before any controversy should start, no, I will *NOT* change my
log
based on anything I may hear from the replay files.

73,

Rick
K4TD