[Skimmertalk] Skimmer availability for ARRL DX Test [correction]

Jeff Maass jmaass at k8nd.com
Wed Feb 18 02:01:31 EST 2009

Rick:

I ran an on-site Skimmer at PJ2T for the CQWW
160 CW Contest, and during transmit periods
the number of decoders climbed immediately
from the splatter/overload. When back in receive,
things settled down just as quickly. We were
able to select any of our receive antennas for
the Skimmer, and most of the time it was on the
Europe or USA/JA Beverages. All RX antennas
are within several hundred feet of the
transmit antenna, and we were running 1500W.
Transmitter was my K3.

With the Callsign Validation set to "Aggressive",
I never saw a bad spot get through to Writelog.
It *did* spot our own call very high in the band,
sometimes at multiple frequencies.

I recorded most of the contest, and reviewed a
little of it yesterday: amazing to see all the
spots pop up once again! Some screen dumps of
the playback are shown below. We were CQing
around 1826 at the time, according to our log.

Between Splatter/overload, around 1/24/09 0520Z:
http://www.k8nd.com/PJ2T_Skimmer_090124_0520.jpg

Showing Splatter/overload, around 1/24/09 0520Z:
http://www.k8nd.com/PJ2T_Skimmer_090124_0520_splatter.jpg

(You may need to download these screen dumps so
they can be examined using some photo application.
My browser, at least, lacks the resolution to display
the characters clearly. You can see the splatter/
overload, though.)

We found Skimmer invaluable during the contest,
especially on the first night, when our DSL
modem crashed within minutes of the first
transmission. We were able to work several
pop-up multipliers that would have been
otherwise missed. The second night, with our
DSL problem fixed with some new filtering,
Skimmer still provided excellent spots that
resulted in multipliers and QSOs.

PJ2T (W8WTS and K8ND operating) is currently in
2nd Worldwide among the multi-op entries with a
score of 2.16M points, based on 3830 claimed
scores, behind CT9M (2.52M) and just (barely)
ahead of CN3A (2.14M). Not bad from 12 degrees
North of the Equator, where noise rules the
night!

73,  Jeff  K8ND