[Skimmertalk] Monitored Frequencies vs. Displayed Frequencies

Jeff Maass jmaass at k8nd.com
Mon Feb 2 07:29:05 EST 2009

I am constantly annoyed by the inability to look at sections of the band away from the
"Tune at Frequency".

I'd like to be able to check visually the activity across the monitored bandwidth without
changing the "Tune at Frequency. The green "bumper stops" as I drag the visual display to
change frequencies displayed are my least favorite "feature" of CW Skimmer.

Let me see if all my assumptions are correct.

My assumptions:

0. I use SDR-IQ receivers with CW Skimmer. I have
    them set for "96 KHz" sampling rate.

1. This is going to sample a bit less than 96 KHz
    of the band;

2. The *center* of the sampled band segment is set
     in CW Skimmer by setting the "Tune at
     Frequency".

3. The "Tune at Frequency" also sets the point at
    which I can listen to a CW signal on the band.
    If I click on another signal displayed in the
    ~11 KHz displayed on my screen (may vary with
    screen resolution), it changes the "Tune at
    Frequency" to that frequency, and so changes
    the center of the monitored band segment.

I would like be able to set the center frequency independent of the frequency range I am
viewing or the frequency I am listening to.

Is this possible? Has anyone proposed this to Alex, or am I just completely off-base in my
understanding of CW Skimmer and the SDR-IQ receiver?

BTW, CW Skimmer was **invaluable** at PJ2T during the CQWW 160 CW Contest! Our DSL crashed
on the first night, and Skimmer (connected to our switchable receive antennas system)
provided us with several "pop-up multipliers" that we might have otherwise missed. We will
(likely) be in 3rd Place Multi-op Worldwide (after Africans CN3A and CT9M) when all the
dust settles.

73,  Jeff  K8ND