[Skimmertalk] 160M Skimmer Observations

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Dec 4 10:53:13 PST 2009

I use Skimmer with the Perseus SDR and while the combo shows excellent
sensitivity and copies barely audible signals on all bands, I have noticed a
problem with dynamic range.  The Perseus has excellent dynamic range, but on
strong signals, the display seems to 'smear' vertically, looking like
extreme key-clicks or wide signals many kHz wide.  This might not be a
Skimmer problem since the Perseus has to be run through RateMonkey which
uses a sample rate converter to change the 125/250/500 kHz sample rate
scheme of the Perseus to the more familiar 48/96/192 scheme used by CW
Skimmer.  On 160, I generally use 30 dB of attenuation in the Perseus and
have tried as much as 50 dB and it still copies fairly weak signals on a
simple 1/4 wave sloper.

I use Skimmer with the Perseus SDR and while the combo shows excellent
sensitivity and copies barely audible signals on all bands, I have noticed a
problem with dynamic range.  The Perseus has excellent dynamic range, but on
strong signals, the display seems to 'smear' vertically, looking like
extreme key-clicks or wide signals many kHz wide.  This might not be a
Skimmer problem since the Perseus has to be run through RateMonkey which
uses a sample rate converter to change the 125/250/500 kHz sample rate
scheme of the Perseus to the more familiar 48/96/192 scheme used by CW
Skimmer.  On 160, I generally use 30 dB of attenuation in the Perseus and
have tried as much as 50 dB and it still copies fairly weak signals on a
simple 1/4 wave sloper.

            Ron  N6IE
       www.N6IE.com