[Skimmertalk] Filtering for CQing Stations

VE1DT VE1DT at infinichron.com
Mon Oct 13 23:04:08 EDT 2008

>From time to time, I look at skimmer.dxwatch.com. I have noticed that
there are two common problems that show up with the spots.

One is that the frequencies reported are often "off". I assume that this
is just user setup error and a limitation of their interfacing methods.

The second point is where I have a bit of concern and that is the
filtering for CQing stations. This was very evident after the last CW
contest I was in, when I did a search for my call to see if I had been
noticed during the contest. The contest was the SAC contest and, for
various reasons, I was primarily S&P throughout the contest. Yet, there
were a swack of reports on my callsign. In fact, I can practically
regenerate my log for the last couple of hours of the contest, during
which I was not sending out CQs.

My question is whether or not the present version of Skimmer is capable
of filtering out callsigns that aren't running or if this is just a case
where the reporting stations didn't have their filters set high enough?

--
Gerald Boutin, VE1DT