[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Tests during SS

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Nov 15 06:43:34 EST 2008

I have posted the full report at
http://www.pvrc.org/~n4zr/K5QQ%20Skimmer%20Test%20-%202008%20SS.pdf

His statistics are very interesting.  However, I'm a little skeptical about
Jim's conclusion that I quoted below.  In my tests, if anything, Skimmer
does not identify *enough* of the stations that are running.  It relies on
markers in the stations' transmissions, such as QRZ, TEST,or CQ.  If a
station is running on a frequency, just signing [call] TU or[call] UP, then
Skimmer doesn't know that he is "CQ-ing."

I suspect that part of the problem Jim encountered is due to SO2R stations
CQing, and then taking a pretty long time to work someone they find on the
second radio.  The issue with busted calls is real, of course, and many of
them are going to be legitimate calls, because even in Aggressive mode
Skimmer is relying on patterns rather than a positive list.  If you want to
cut way down on the number of busted calls, switch to Paranoid, and make
sure Skimmer is pointed to a current master.dta file.

73, Pete