[Skimmertalk] The New Radio – an audio and visual approach to contesting

Dave Hachadorian K6LL at ARRL.net
Mon Nov 3 15:10:54 EST 2008

It seems to me that many of the "Blind Skimmer" features
apply to rtty and ssb as well as cw, right?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "José Nunes CT1BOH" <ct1boh at gmail.com>
To: <skimmertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:07 PM
Subject: [Skimmertalk] The New Radio – an audio and visual
approach to contesting

There is a trend in the new SDR radios that incorporates
spectrum scopes
(panadapter, waterfall, etc). This trend will change the way
we operate and
will impact the way we do Contesting.

The new way of operating is:

completely eliminate the VFO knob and tune with a mouse and
keyboard keys
use both ears and eyes to identify stations
have visual information of the totality of the signals on a
band

"The new radio" offers the visual element, along side the
audio element and
the ability to tune from one signal into the next signal
without having to
listen to the empty band space in between stations.

This will have a tremendous impact in the way we Contest,
and will
accelerate activity, i.e. more QSOs in the time frame of the
contest,
because tuning is many orders of magnitude faster. In a way
we can say that
with the "new radio" there is no more Search&Pounce but only
Pounce.

Before starting a run, the operator dials the band up and
down, turning the
VFO knob, in a continuous way, looking for a clear
frequency. Once he finds
and holds the frequency he is able to start a Run. While on
the frequency he
is only aware of a few Khz, depending on his passband filter
(500Hz in a CW
contest). He has no information whatsoever of what is
adjacent to his
frequency and up and down the band.

If the operator stops the Run and goes into S&P mode, he has
to dial the VFO
knob in a continuous way, going from one station into the
other station.
While doing this, he will listen to the bands (empty space)
in between the
stations.

Before starting a Run, the operator looks at a spectrum
scope that shows him
the entire band at once. He visually identifies an empty
spot and with a
mouse click is taken right to the frequency of choice. Once
he finds and
holds the frequency he is able to start a Run. While on the
frequency he is
aware of a few Khz, depending on his passband filter (500Hz
in a CW
contest), AND to the all the signals present on the band. He
not only has an
audio element (the passband of the radio) but a visual
element (all the
signals on the band).

If the operator stops the run and goes into "S&P" mode, he
can click and go
zero beat with each signal present on the band. There is no
tuning anymore,
there in no more listening to the empty band space in
between each station.
The visual element of the new radio will provide the
operator the
information to go directly zero beat to each signal.

Sprectrum scopes have been around for more than 20 years.
Radios like ICOM
781 have sprectrum scopes that have been used by Single
Operators in the Non
Assisted categories. All the ICOM PRO series and ICOM 7800
radios have
scopes, as well as Yaesu FT2000 and FT9000 (with DMU units).
We can say that
these scopes are very crude, but they already provide the
visual element.

When Alex, VE3NEA released CW Skimmer I sent him an e-mail
and told him that
CW Contesting would be very different in the future.

CW Skimmer attracted my attention not because of the
decoding element of
call signs, but for the very powerful and fast waterfall
display, with a
resolution sufficient for reading Morse Code dots and dashes
visually.

Note that CQWW Rules prohibit CW decoding of call signs in
the Single
Operator Non Assisted categories, but it does not prohibit
scopes.

With this in mind, I contacted again Alex, VE3NEA, and asked
him if he could
release a version of his waterfall display, that provide a
visual
representation of the dots and dashes, with the CW decoding
disabled,
therefore suitable for the Single Operator Non Assisted
class. He was very
receptive and we came up with Blind Skimmer.

In "Blind Mode", no call sign list is produced, none of the
waterfall dots
and dashes are annotated with the text of the call sign and
the up/down
arrows of the keyboard enable the operator to move the
frequency of the
radio from one signal into the next (once again Alex was
very receptive to
my suggestion of implementing this very efficient way of
"zero beat
tuning").

Contesting is a technological game, and because of this an
evolving game.
The new generation scopes, with enough resolution to
separate one signal
from the other will indeed accelerate the way we contest and
this means more
QSOs

In the end its still one guy, his ability to make QSOs and
winning the
Contest

73
José Nunes